In Matinkylä Espoo on 21st of March 2017 it was time to gather to Bordeaux tasting hosted by me. In EVY they have tradition that someone picks up the topic and presents this topic and selects the wines for tasting. They asked for me and I was honored and said yes. I chose Bordeaux which is one of my favorite wine regions and wines. I purchased all wines from my trusted wineshop in Germany.
First I presented a short power point summary about terroir of the Bordeaux, wine regions, classifications, vintages and history. You can find the presentation by following link: Espoon Viinin Ystävät- Bordeaux 21.3.2017
Chosen wines were selected as two dry white wines, three Grand Cru red wines and one sweet dessert wine. First time in history of EVY some wines were decanted. For example Chateau Cantemerle 2010 was in decanter several hours. Wines were divided to three flights. In first flight were dry white wines, red wines in second and sweet wine in the last. Whites and reds we tasted as semi blind, wine information was available but nobody knew the order. White wines we reviewed just by discussing but we gave a points to red wines. Everybody had a 4 points to give and those could be divided anyway wanted. Very clear victory went to a Domaine de Chevalier Rouge 2011.
- Clos des Lunes – Lune de Argent 2014: Entre-deux-Mers, 70% Semillon, 30% Sauvignon blanc
- Mineral, flowery, light. Melon can be found
- Clos Floridene Blanc 2009: Graves, 51% Semillon, 47% Sauvignon Blanc, 2% Muscadelle
- Flowery, gooseberries, nettles, fruity. Clearly more oak than in the previous one.
- Chateau La Dominique 2009: St.Emilion Grand Cru Classe, 86% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Franc, 2% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Earth, grass and dark berries, velvety and silky plum, long finish.
- Domaine de Chevalier rouge 2011: Pessac-Leognan Grand Cru Classe. 65% Cabernet Sauvignon 30% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot
- Flowery, perfume from dark berries. On the palate: Fresh and elegant, soft tannins. Very long finish.
- Chateau Cantemerle 2010; 5ème Grand Cru Classe 1855 Haut-Medoc, 52% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Franc, 5% Petit Verdot
- Mint and pencil on the nose. Strong tannins, too young.
- Chateau de Rayne-Vigneau 2011: Sauternes 1er Grand Cru Classe, 90% Semillon, 10% Sauvignon blanc
- Lot of passion fruit along with pineapple and apricot. Very Botrys like and still too young.