Tasting event was arranged by Tom Willis from Thirsty Bear. John Waldron, Charge of European market in West Cape Howe Winery, started the event by presenting (with his strong aussie accent) Western Australia as wine region where 4% of Australian wines come from. West Cape Howe winery is located in Mount Barker, 360km from Perth. West Cape Howe received “Best Winery of the Region” announcement in Australian Wine Companion 2017 published by the famous Australian wine writer James Halliday. Also five of their wines reached Halliday´s top 100 Australian wines list at the same time.
West Cape Howe has vineyards also in other locations in Western Australia like Albany, Margaret river, Perth Hills and Frankland River. West Cape Howe winery is famous by their terroir based single vineyards of which we had the opportunity to taste now.
- Stux Gully Chardonnay 2015
- Cool climate can be sensed immediately. Exotic fruits like pineapple, peach, cantaloupe melon and slightly butter on the nose. Citric palate included wet stone. Long finish and very good balance. Chablis like Chardonnay for summer patio with light bbq food.
- Risky Business Pinot Noir Rose 2016
- Made of 100% Pinot Noir without skin contact. Mineral with gooseberries, rhubarb and red currant. Long finish. Fresh drink with your friends.
- Book Ends Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
- Aromas changed in the glass constantly due the young age among other possibilities. Black currant, anise/fennel, licorice and boysenberries on the nose. Pure flavors of red and dark berries, alcohol does not feel at all and balance in the wine is awesome. An option for strong full body Cabernets with elegant flavored dishes.
- Two Steps Shiraz 2014
- Liquorice, spices, anise/fennel and blackberries aromas. Slightly smoky, pure flavors of berries. This is too young at the moment. Should be in cellar for a couple of years.
All these wines showed same elegant and lighter body style with good balance even though the grape varieties were totally different. Terroir and style of the wines so called style of producer could be identified. Prices were the same for all these wines except of Rose, 30 AUD so 21 in euros. These wine can be ordered via Thirsty Bear with price of ~30€ / bottle.
–Markus Laukkanen 17.12.2016